Three people have been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at a ground floor flat.
The blaze started in the kitchen of a property in Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, just before 9.30pm.
Two women and a man were taken by ambulance to the city's Royal Infirmary.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said the man, who was a neighbour, had tried to put the flames out before crews arrived.
In a separate incident, a 65-year-old woman was taken to the same hospital when a grill pan caught alight at her second floor flat in Barn Park Crescent, in the Wester Hailes area of the city, at about 9pm.
She is said to have burns to her hands.
Meanwhile, the service attended another blaze in Edinburgh's Portobello Road, also at 9pm.
A two-year-old girl and a woman, 36, are said to have suffered mild smoke inhalation during the incident, which was caused by a pan of food catching fire.
They were treated at the scene but did not require further treatment.