A Scottish man held hostage in Algeria has spoken of his relief at being rescued.
Iain Strachan, 38, from Howwood in Renfrewshire, was among 100 foreign workers freed from terrorists who attacked a BP oil plant at In Amenas on Thursday. Speaking on Algerian television, Mr Strachan said he was "very relieved to be out".
"Obviously we still don't really know what's happening back on site," he said. "So, as much as we're glad to be out, our thoughts are with colleagues who are still there at the moment." He said the Algerian army's assistance has been "fantastic". "I've never been so relieved as when they came and got us off site. We thank them very much for that," he said.
Another hostage, Mark Grant, 29, from Grangemouth, reportedly texted his wife to let her know he was safe. The message read: "I'm safe. Got me out this afternoon. With the Algerian army."
Alan Wright, 37, of Portsoy, Aberdeenshire, and Kenneth Whiteside, originally from Glenrothes, Fife, but now based in Johannesburg, South Africa, were also reportedly held in the attack.
First Minister Alex Salmond said a total of eight Scottish residents had been confirmed as safe and secure. But he said that, of those workers still unaccounted for, some have family in Scotland or other connections to the country.
"The Scottish Government can confirm that the safety of eight people, identified as resident in Scotland, has been established," Mr Salmond said. "Some are now with their families in Scotland but all eight are accounted for as safe and secure.
"We cannot confirm names and final details on numbers of those hostages with a Scottish connection as this is still an ongoing and changing situation and, until full and reliable information is available, it would not be appropriate to do this.
"We are also aware that among the individuals who are still unaccounted for are those with Scottish family or connections.
"We will provide full details as soon as we are satisfied that the information is full and final, and, most importantly, that families have been informed. We are in close and constant contact with the UK Government on this matter. We extend our condolences to all those, of all nationalities, who have lost loved ones and colleagues in this terrorist outrage."